Friday, November 9, 2007

Meatballs You Must Try

I quickly put this in for Poji as she had asked for it. I earlier wanted to send the recipe in an email but decided to share it here after all.

For ages I had wondered how to make meatballs for my spaghetti and now I know. If you like you can omit the rosemary. But I think rosemary can really make a dish, you know.

And yeah, you guessed it - this is another one of the Naked Chef's recipe. Here's how ~

900 g minced beef
2 slices bread (use the food processor to turm them into breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoons cumin (jintan manis); pounded
1/2 small dried chili; pounded
1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
1 egg yolk
salt and black pepper to taste

Optional
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1. Mix together beef, breadcrumbs, oregano, cumin, chili, rosemary and egg yolk in a bowl.
2. Add salt and black pepper. Add the optional ingredients here if you are using them. (Personally I dont)
3. Mix well. With wet hands, roll and pat into meatball shapes / sizes that you want.
4. Preheat a thick-bottomed casserole to a very hot temperature. (Make sure this is a non-stick pan otherwise you'd be in so much trouble.. )
5. Add 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil, swirl around the bottom of the pan and add the meatballs.
6. Fry until they are brown all over, being careful not to break them but just moving the pan around so that all sides are nicely colored. Remove from fire.

You can add this to your spaghetti sauce when it is almost done or arrange them in your serving plate / plate and then pour the sauce on top of them.

Yumm.. you must really try this.

*****

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Azah,I must try this..but certain brand of minced meat smells 'cow'ish..haha..i've to put more herbs to improve the taste.

Azah Yahya said...

I dont know what to do about the "cowish" thing.. biar benar Ain. But I grind my own meat in the processor. That way I know exactly what goes into my minced meat. It's quite easy and I can actually determine if I want the meat fine / superfine or a bit coarse.