Friday, November 2, 2007

He Cooks Like A Dream

I met him at my sister Laili's place when she did her raya open house. I have his photo but I dont know his name.

The food served that day was - yeah you guessed it - like a dream. There was lamb rack and beef and more lamb (I dont know what they call it). There were prawns and chicken and pasta that were cooked in ways I cant name them.

I went to the back of the house to check on the cook - the guy in the photo - who corrected me by saying, I am the head chef at the Italian restaurant in Bangsar.. Oops.. did I insult the chef? (this reminds me of the credit card ad where the chef barged out of the kitchen with his cleaver to attack the customer who dared request for the tomato ketchup!)

Anyway, he was nice about the cook / chef thing. He said he started by washing dishes when he was in Ireland. He got no formal training in cooking - he somehow discovered he can cook and sort of climbed the ladder in the industry (so to speak).

He introduced me to the herbs that he had that day (basil and thyme and rosemary and marjoram). He said you can get them fresh at a decent price in Tesco Damansara but I dont remember for how much. I know though they cost RM2.99 for a few miserable sprigs at Isetan KLCC. You can also get some at Giant and of course at Cold Storage but not at Jusco or Carrefour. Trust me on this.
He also said you should lightly boil your vege with butter and baking soda - to flavor and make 'em vege a bit more colorful and fresher, and not lay limp on your plate. So there, and now we know.
*****

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like to go to Cold Storage for fresh Western herbs...latest coldstorage is in MidValley the Gardens

Azah Yahya said...

Actually I've never been to the Gardens.. the next time you go ajak I ok? PS - Fatin, didnt you promised to take us there?