Friday, February 29, 2008

A Tinge Of Humor

I went to pasar malam yesterday to get some - yum-yum - fresh popiah at the mamak stall. While there I looked for some lettuce for my caesar salad, which coincidently is very popular at home, even with Eirfan although he'll just take the croutons. (Check out the recipe that I have here.. http://a-passion-for-food.blogspot.com/2008/01/caesar-salad-and-anchovies.html)

As I understand it (what do I know about these things anyway..?) if it is caesar salad, only romaine lettuce is used - not iceberg or butterhead or coral or anything else.. please correct me if I am wrong, anyone..

I thought I saw romaine in one stall but they looked small (and a bit wimpy maybe that's why they looked a bit different). I asked the girl manning the vege - ni sayur apa? She said oay-mak-tom or something that sounds something like that. I cant help myself and laugh. Defensively, the girl said betul, oay-mak-tom. I said ok, then left to laugh elsewhere.

I laughed because I only knew that the lettuce is called romaine (you know, like so foreign - even that rhymes - romaine, foreign..) and I'm going to make caesar salad with it (like so glam..) and even my daughter cant quite catch the names (let alone spell 'em) - but here is a girl who told me it is called oay-mak-tom! ha-ha. Padan muka makcik yang tak sedar diri tu..!

Nevertheless I went back to the stall and bought the lettuce - and they cost me only RM1! I can only get it for about 5 bucks in Carrefour or ColdStorage.

Must ask again if it is really oay-mak-tom.. and the vege in the pic above was the culprit..


*****

No comments: