Monday, June 16, 2008

Thai Mango Salad Everyone Will Adore


And how time flies! I relly wanted to update this space here regularly but I guess some things are just not meant to be..

Nevertheless I am must share the mango salad dish we learned from my cousin previously. I love watching her did this - simply and so effortlessly (and if only I could imitate even half of her confidence..)

You'll need:

A
1 medium green mango ('apple' mango works best for the recipe).
... julienne the mango or you can grate it (grating makes
the mango soft and watery though..) You need not peel the mango.
Nur my cousin uses a peeler-like grater that's simply superb
for the job; but uh, she got that in Thailand...

1 tablespoon blended/pounded dried shrimp
2 tablespoons fried & corasely chopped ground nut
2 tablespoon fried onion (bawang goreng)
1 tablespoon fried coconut (fried to golden brown - kelapa goreng)
1 small onion (thinly sliced)
chillies, to taste (cili api works best - thinly sliced)
1 tablespoon spring onion (thinly sliced)
Small amount carrot (grated) - for color in the salad

B
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoon fish sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice (do not use kasturi, it doesnt have that zing you want)
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Mix ingredients A thoroughly.
2. Mix B together and stir till sugar is melted.
3. Add B to A and mix well.
4. Taste & serve.

Everytime we go for our lessons we begged Nur to make us this salad. It's simply irresistable. Unfortunately I didnt get a photo the other day; this is courtesy of the internet.

*****

No comments: